Careers At VMCH
Disability Support Worker
Job no: 498920
Work type: Casual
Location: Various Locations
Categories: Community Services
- Join the Life Skills Passport Project and to support people with disabilities to learn skills of independence
- Develop new skills while collaborating with other professionals in a small group setting and support our cooking program and other physical activities
- Excellent Not for Profit Salary Packaging Benefits. Casual hours, various locations including Kew and Rowville
About the role
Join our Pathways to Independence project team and help people with disabilities build skills to gain independence and aspire to be active contributors in the community. In the Cooking module you will support the learning of essential basic nutrition and cooking skills and other physical activities. This structured program designed by an Occupational Therapist, will deliver recurring course modules tailored to individual participants.
This role can be extra casual work on top of your current role or it can be a temporary substitute to your existing role, subject to Senior Managers approval.
Skills and experience
- Provide direct support and learning opportunities to people with disabilities.
- Assist with how to prepare food, how to organise cooking and shopping activities and improve on other skills
- Liaise with individuals and support networks to ensure the needs of people with disabilities are met and support maximum participation
- Actively attend and contribute to team and program meetings, as required
- Identify opportunities to improve program processes and practice to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the service
- Collaborate with other Project members to deliver the best service and learning opportunities to our Clients.
As an employee of VMCH, you will be provided with ongoing professional development, career pathways opportunities, positive & supportive workplace culture and excellent salary packaging benefits.
- Commitment to person and family centred practices
- Experience in supporting people in learning, recreation and related environments
- Experience in working with people with disabilities
- Interest in cooking and nutrition and sharing this knowledge
- Certificate IV in Disability or equivalent (desirable)
- Ability to establish and maintain positive professional relationships
- Driver’s License
- Level 2 First Aid Certificate
- Willingness to work one day per week and travel to the Rowville and Kew areas
Villa Maria Catholic Homes (VMCH) are a Catholic not-for-profit organisation, providing services to 7,600 people across Victoria. Our services include affordable housing options, residential aged care, retirement living, community and disability services and special education.
As an employee of VMCH, you will be provided with ongoing professional development and career pathways, positive & supportive workplace culture and excellent salary packaging benefits. Join the team making a difference to the lives of older Australians, people with disability, families and carers.
To work at VMCH, you will be required to supply proof of work rights, an Australian Criminal History Check and a Victorian Employee Working with Children Check. You may also be required to supply an International Police Check.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time